What to Consider When Evaluating Hospitals
In addition to the metrics that are available on this site, there are other considerations to take into account when evaluating quality of care.
Look for a hospital or care provider that has or does the following:
- Accreditation by the Joint Commission: The Joint Commission evaluates and accredits more than 20,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States, including more than 9,500 hospitals and home care organizations, and more than 6,300 other health care organizations that provide long term care, behavioral health care, laboratory and ambulatory care services. The Joint Commission is the nation’s oldest and largest accrediting body in health care.
- Recognition of achievement by other organizations: Many outside agencies and consumer groups rate high performers in health care. Partners HealthCare hospitals are recognized as high performers by a number of organizations, including US News and World Report, and has been cited by several organizations as one of the top places to work. For additional information, please visit our Achievements and Recognitions page.
- Experience in treating your condition: Research shows that those hospitals and physicians that treat a higher volume of patients with a particular condition tend to have better outcomes. Our hospitals and physicians are leaders in their fields and are experienced in treating many clinical conditions.
- Performance measurement and improvement: We measure and compare our quality performance nationally and locally. We constantly strive to improve our performance. However, once we reach optimum performance on a metric, our work is not done. We continue to monitor our progress, share best practices, and evaluate advances in best practices and technology to maintain the highest standards of quality and safety in all our hospitals.
- High patient satisfaction scores: Before visiting a hospital, you have the opportunity to see how other patients rate their experience. Nationally, these scores can be found at the Hospital Compare website. Overall, Partners Hospitals perform well on these measures and can be found in our Patient Experience section of this website.